11 August 2010

5 Stages of PhD

Inspired from "5 stages of grief" with some modifications and arrangements.

1. Acceptance
Feel the excitement on becoming PhD student? See.. you would be working towards the most prestigious degree in society where all people think that you are the chosen people. In addition, well.. steady stipend during the next 3 or 4 years? An offer which is too god to refuse.

"Hooray.. I was accepted"; "I will become PhD student's model. Publishing 7 high impact journals? I am confident that I can. etc..etc.."

2. Depression
As time goes by, you realize that the things do not always go well. Whenever you have bad outcomes and you see that extremely good results in the journals you just read. Whenever you can't do the job because your boss has no enough money or no equipment.. or whenever your boss blame you for not following his/her suggestions

"Why it doesn't work" "It's not supposed to be like this"

3. Anger
Bad results, no publications until your stipend period is reaching its end, plus there is no sign from your boss that he/she will let you graduate very soon. Hey.. he/she said that he/she still have plenty crazy ideas to explore on your thesis work.

"Aaarghhh.. I was fed up." "I am going to be crazy with all these things"

3. Denial
You realize that PhD may not be best life decision for you. You simply do not passionate enough to do the research thing and pursue all possible opportunities to expand your work given all limiting constraints you (and your boss) have. In addition, you may gain envious on your 'no-brain' friends do well and earn more than you do.

"May be I should not take PhD in the first place" "What the hell I was thinking before?"

5. Bargaining
Dear my beloved professor.. Please let me graduate. Thank you.


~AYS~
laginyarikerja..adalowongan?

No comments:

Post a Comment