24 August 2010

Legendary advisor's quotes over time

" Work hard. Work overtime. " (first conversation after PhD intake)

" What time did you wake up everyday? Come directly to lab. Btw, when is the last bus to your home?" (second conversation after PhD intake)

" You are here to do research. I believe subject is not a big matter for you. Don't just sit here to study coursework and read paper. Go to lab and learn something." (about second week after PhD intake)

" The most important thing to do is be hardworking. Don't consider yourself as a normal office worker who come at 9 and go back at 5 or 6. Work overtime. Come on the weekend. It applied to all of you." (lab meeting 2008, message to one of my junior)

" You should do experiment on the day and read paper at night " (lab meeting, end of 2008)

" You think you are that special? Please tell me the things you can do that other people cannot do " (2008)

" Don't worry about QE. It can still drag until 2 years time " (2009)

" I consider my lab members as people very close to m" I push you for your own good, to achieve your dream "e after my family " (lab meeting, 2009)

" To be a good teacher, you should have good publication " (one time in 2009)

(the crash day, 2009)

" Publication is more important than graduation " (2009, to one of senior)

" I would like to treat lunch for you all for my promotion to associate. But try to find close place so you can come back to lab to work " (2010)

" I know I don't treat you so well in the past few years but... please don't go so early. Can you just try to stay here for a while?" (mid of 2010)

1 comment: