23 June 2010

Why Going Conference is so Difficult?

Sometimes I wonder... when we, as a PhD, go to conference/symposium, doesn't it mean that we are representing our school in the international forum? And I'm quite upset for the troubles my school has made... though actually they are in the beginning are the one who "recommend" me to join.

1. They don't put proper procedures on what the documents need to be prepared. So they just ask whatever they think they want.
Academic records (dunno what it is for), conference abstract or topic to be presented (okay reasonable), notification that the abstract has been approved (okay, but even the website of the symposium has not been established yet at that time), notification that conference fee has been paid (err...). Airfare ticket... Well, all of these are the requirement for seeking 'approval' for the leave? Doesn't it mean that we need to get approved first before we settle the airfare and conference fee?

2. They want all the documents to be settled 6 weeks before the date of conference and they just inform about this conference 4 weeks before the date. :s

3. They even ask 3 quotations for the airfare to confirm what I chose is the lowest. What?? :s :s

4. Just for the school certification/support for applying VISA, the school admin hasn't settled it until the day I have to go. Fortunately, I have seeked assistance on my own initiative to Graduate Studies Office (GSO). And I need to settle to Korean embassy (which is one hour journey from my place) three times before I got my VISA approved.

5. For the conference to be approved, they need signature from chair and HOD, which I dunno how slow they would get it?

6. They sent some e-mail even to my undergrad e-mail which is already inactive and never let me know before I ask, "Is there any update so far?"

7. And finally, they need to wait for the 'proper' TA award certificate before all the leave can be processed.

* * *

Well don't blame me if I get soo jealous when I gather with my friends from other school and they are so cheerful...

" I don't know got such complicated procedures. Our admin school just ask us some documents, then they help us to settle the VISA, conference, and also the airfare. And that's it. "

Well, sometimes life is unfair... (-__-)

2 comments:

  1. Your school doesn't have money.. =P
    it wants the cheapest one, so the budget can be pressed to the mininum one..

    dan prosedur nya sangattt.. complicated.. biasa la.. face that --"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most likely the hardest part still not here yet (the claim).. Thanks to it, at least I had a chance to scold that 'villain GO witch' twice..

    ReplyDelete