22 June 2010

Why?

Found a nice article on the most common reasons for taking the PhD. The link is http://www.nigels.com/jokes/phd1.pdf. Hmm.. I should have opened this link way before I joined the PhD. Okay, so why I was taking this PhD thing. Let see
which of these reasons are applied to me.

1. I have a diagnosable mental illness: Dunno.. I never go for mental illness check-up. Perhaps I should. Many friends told me that I am fierce (because indeed I am). Some others told that I am childish (well, growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional [Handarmin, 2010], right?).

2. I can't get a job: Hell, true. I was called for P&G interview, Schlumberger, BCA, BP, Badak, some others that I did not remember. None of them were successful.

3. I can't face the real world: Maybe, I never really 'face' the 'real' world. However, I didn't think this is the reason. I was ready and keen to go to the real world at that time.

4. I think it would be cool to have 'Dr' before my name on my credit card: Nope. Even, I shall use 'Mr' on my future credit card or airplane ticket after I get this silly 'Dr' thing.

5. I seek to further my knowledge and contribute to the advancement of science in this, my choosen field: Come on! Don't make me laugh.

6. I'm too ugly to be a model or an actor or a prostitute: True. Even that Korean prof which I hate the most is more handsome than me. A friend of mine wants to marry a Caucasian so that their child will be eligible to become an artist, like Cinta Laura or Nadine Chandradinata.

7. I am impressed by the example set by my television role model, and wish to follow in his/her/its footsteps: What the hell are you thinking? I was not subscribing Nat Geo or History Channel. All that I watched on my TV was gossip show or lame horror movie.

8. Smart chicks are hot: Already found one behind my cubicle.

9. It is a condition of late Uncle Fergus' will that his estate will only go to someone who can withstand severe psychological torture. My cousin is going to join Mossad for their training program: If only I had a damn rich and insane Uncle like that.

10. "PhD" I was just looking to put my application for the lab tech job, so that I can have a salary and job security and can still wear the funky white coat: I am not that nerd to think that lab coat cool

Well. I think I still have not found my reason, why I was joining. It was interesting quiz though. @contributors: Hey, you should try too. Recommended. For those who are currently considering to join, it is strongly recommended. If you do not agree with most of these statements, well, re-consideration is a must. Btw, they have other quizzes. Probably.. Will take it and let you know the outcome shortly.

~AYS~
sudahduaharigaknaiksepedanih

3 comments:

  1. My answers:
    1. Well...i have never been diagnosed...but my fams sometimes call me xiao bo...
    2. not really
    3. r u kidding? being cheap labor is not real world?
    4. don't think so. they will think that i am a 'real doctor' and then i will have to explain the whole thing..nope. won't do it
    8. Well my neighbours like hot steamy KFC but how that is related to this?
    9. agree with AYS
    10. ...lab coat is a coat i wear when i feel cold in the lab....how is that funky?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YS: Thats not my quote lor..what i used to say is the rate of growing old and growing up may not be the same.

    ReplyDelete